Dr Stergios Kartsios
- PhD, School of Geology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (2014- 2020)
Thesis: Atmosphere –Wildland Fires Interactions using Numerical Models in Greece
- MSc in Meteorology, Climatology and Atmospheric Environment, School of Geology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece (2013)
- BSc in Physics, School of Physics, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece (2010)
- Synoptic weather forecasting
- Fire Meteorology and applications with coupled atmosphere – fire models
- Evaluation of numerical weather prediction models
- Analysis of extreme weather events
- Applications with the use of atmospheric numerical models
- Analysis of meteorological parameters
- Climate change through climate simulations
Scholarships / Awards
Award for excellence for postgraduate studies, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (2012)
- EC, H2020, LC-SFS-19-2018-2, Resilient farming by adaptive microclimate managements (STARGATE)
- General Secretariat Research and Technology (GSRT), Greek-German on Bilateral Research and Innovation Cooperation 2016, “Establishment of an Early Warning System for Mosquito-born diseases and implementation of new vector control tools in the urban environment” (EWSMD)
- EC, ECMWF, Copernicus Atmospheric Monitoring Services (CAMS84): Global and regional a posteriori evaluation and quality assurance
- EC, H2020, Enhancing Food Security in AFRIcan AgriCULTUral Systems with the Support of REmote Sensing (AfriCultures)
- EU, Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service (CAMS84): Global and regional a posteriori validation, including focus on the Arctic and Mediterranean areas
- EC, FP7, The People Programme, International Research Staff Exchange Scheme, Regional climate-air quality interactions (REQUA)
- National Strategic Reference Framework (NSRF) 2007-2013, An Innovative and Integrated Conceptual Model to Mitigate the Impact of Climate Change on Drought: Potentiality and Applicability of a Precipitation Enhancement Project in Thessaly (DAPHNE)
- Kartsios, S., Karacostas, T., Pytharoulis, I., Dimitrakopoulos, A.P., Numerical investigation of atmosphere-fire interactions during high-impact wildland fire events in Greece, Atmospheric Research, 247, art. no. 105253,https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosres.2020.105253, 2021
- Coppola, E., Sobolowski, S., Pichelli, E. .. S. Kartsios, E. Katragkou, …et al. A first-of-its-kind multi-model convection permitting ensemble for investigating convective phenomena over Europe and the Mediterranean. Clim Dyn 55, 3–34, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00382-018-4521-8, 2020.
- Lavin-Gullon, A., Fernandez, J., Bastin, S., .. Kartsios, S., Katragkou, E., .. et al, Internal variability versus multi-physics uncertainty in a regional climate model, International Journal of Climatology, 2020.
- Pytharoulis, I., Kartsios, S., Tegoulias, I., Feidas, H., Miglietta, M.M., Matsangouras, I., Karacostas, T., Sensitivity of a mediterranean tropical-like cyclone to physical parameterizations, Atmosphere, 9 (11), art. no. 436, 2018.
- Knist, S., …, S. Kartsios, E. Katragkou.. et al., Land-atmosphere coupling in EURO-CORDEX evaluation experiments. J. Geophys. Res. Atmos., 122(1), 79–103, https://doi:10.1002/2016JD025476, 2017.